Thursday, January 31, 2008

Prometeus

So as I am finally going to hopefully be able to start posting new blogs here. My first one is my thoughts on this video that I discovered on youtube. (love that thing) The video is called Prometeus The Media Revolution(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj8ZadKgdC0).
This video talks about the change in the future of the media. It is rather disturbing how accurate this video could be, but at the same time very cool.
One point the video touches on is the change in communication and interaction amongst the individual. It touches on the aspect of the creation of Second Life-which I hate..mostly due to functionality issues. Great idea though. However I begin to wonder when the individual who uses the Second Life or World of Warcraft as that being their reality....this concerns me. While yes visually aesthetic it is still not reality.
Look at the real world. You hear actual real sounds of life. While yes in these virtual one can here birds chirp and hear the wind, but you can not feel it. There is a certain realism when you hear a bird near by chirp. And the feeling of the wind swirling around you. But screw nature, what about interaction with your friends and loved ones. Messaging on a server has to feel a little one-sided. The experience of physical touch is something that can not be reproduced artificially. Well yet anyways, and even then I have a feeling it will still not be close enough to the real thing. The feeling of someones heart beat or pulse or body heat. There is nothing like it.
So why would and individual want to live a vast majority of their life in a virtual world? ..Ok before I go off any futher, I am guilty of playing in these online worlds. The games and fantasy like WOW, Fiesta, and others ;) are a blast. However I know when to turn it off and do my homework, go out with friends and socialize.
However the are people who lose themselves completely to these worlds. Students fail school, couples end, friends disappear. False identities are created- there are people who only consider their lives is able to be lived online.
My thought is if we are going to have these dual lives, that every individual knows which is their real life. I am Ryan, a journalist student and human being, not a earth wizard in a fantasy land. I only play (emphasis on play!) When I have some free time to entertain my imagination. There is a clear boundary. If you don't know where that line is then you had better find it. Because if the power goes out on you ...then the world you think is real is stopped, what will you do then?

No comments: